Holidays have started and it’s time to spend some quality time with your loved ones or do the things that you love the most. We are taking it easy since it has been really hectic for Mr.V lately with his work. So just relaxing at home but food wise no compromise, I am going to cook a storm – cookies, pastries, Special dinners and what not. Here’s the quick cookie recipe which will take less than hour to prepare and you will be amazed with the results.
Black forest is one of my favorite flavors and so is raspberry. I know traditionally cherry is used in black forest but it is impossible to find cherries in this season without breaking the bank. So I decided to use all natural raspberry preserve that I bought from Trader Joe’s (exported from Belgium). Don’t you love Trader Joe’s? It’s my favorite place to shop. If I start talking about TJ I won’t stop so I better share the recipe now and let you enjoy the Holidays!
As I said earlier, it is really easy to make cookies. It hardly takes any time. 15 minutes of active time and that’s it. Rest is baking. But believe me, it’s all worth every minute you spend.
Yields: 20-22 cookies
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 stick or ½ cup Margarine (unsalted butter) at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup Organic cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla/chocolate extract
- Few Tbsps of 2% non-dairy/dairy milk
- Raspberry Preserve or preserve/jam of your choice
- Chocolate nibs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper/silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl/in a bowl of an electric mixer beat together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in flour and cocoa powder, beginning on low-speed and increasing to medium high, until a dough forms – the dough should come together well. It should not be dry, add milk if it feels dry.
- Once the dough is ready, take a spoonful of it and roll out small balls and place on prepared baking sheet 1” apart. Now press and using the back of your teaspoon make thumb indentations. You can always use your thumb to make thumb prints but this will make all look alike. Choice is yours.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or it looks set. You won’t be able to see how brown it is because it is chocolate flavor. But you will know when it’s done.
- Once done, remove it from oven and transfer cookies to cooling rack. If you think that the thumb prints are disappearing, then quickly do the printing process. And press it gently using the back of your teaspoon.
- Let cookies cool completely before you fill it with the jam/preserve of your choice, here I have used Trader Joe’s all natural raspberry preserve. And it does justice to these delightful cookies.
- Dress up your cookies with some powdered sugar and cocoa nibs and ENJOY!!!
Question: How are you going to spend your Holiday? Do share!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
Love, Grishma and Vikas