Spring pasta with lemony, garlicky, buttery walnut sauce(YUMM) – The best pasta EVER!
Well finally spring has officially arrived. But it doesn’t feel like, does it? It is still freezing in here…brrrr. Last weekend, we did our spring garden shopping but the weather is just not with us. It was like into 80’s last weekend and now into 50’s😦 Poor plants, they are sitting in one corner of my living room dying to get some sun light. May be soon, may be soon!
So what are you all up to? How is the weather treating you? Hey do you like gardening? Have you started your gardening yet for the season? If yes, what are you planning to grow? I bought most of all the vegetable plants including herbs, of course J Isn’t it fun to cook from what you grow! So exciting! Well and I just realized that I just asked so many questions…OOPS! But here’s the last one, I promise – talking about spring, do you like Asparagus? I LOVE them. Grilled, baked or steamed I can have like a bowl full of them.
Here I have made this beautiful whole wheat pasta packed with the goodness of roasted asparagus, rocket greens aka arugula tossed in lemony, garlicky walnut sauce! And this pasta is to die for. Believe me, it is best when it’s hot and even better when not hot. Perfect for any season. So this is what you need:
Spring pasta tossed in lemony garlicky buttery walnut sauce
Yields: 4 servings
Total time: 30-40 minutes mostly boiling/roasting
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine/spaghetti or any type of pasta you prefer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb of asparagus
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil for roasting asparagus and to cook pasta
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg of rocket greens aka Arugula
Lemon garlic walnut sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 3- 4 clove garlic, finely chopped and if you like more go for it
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon (use half if you prefer less tangy)
- ½ to 2/3 cup pasta water
- ½ cup roasted walnuts (Keep some aside to garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Now let’s prepare asparagus. Cut the ends of asparagus and chop them about 2 to 3” long. Tip: Do not remove rubber band off the asparagus, this way it is easier to trim off the ends all in one shot and even save time. Plus do not throw ends; you can use them in stock. Now spread them out on cooking sheet and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper and slide in oven to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it’s tender. Once it is cooked, switch off the oven and roast your walnuts. It only requires 8 minutes and this way you can even save electricity. Well I know it’s not a lot but every small thing helps, ryt? Okay, getting back to the recipe.
- So while your asparagus is in oven, cook pasta according to the direction on the package. Remember wheat pasta is going to take more time to cook than regular pasta.
- Meanwhile let’s make lemony garlicky buttery walnut sauce.
- In a wide-bottomed flat pan, heat up oil and butter and let it brown a bit. Once you see medium amber color add chopped garlic and sauté for a while. Now add chopped walnuts along with lemon zest and lemon juice and pasta water. Season with salt and pepper and bring it to boil. Also add some crushed red pepper for more heat. When it comes to boil, lower the heat to low-medium heat and add roasted asparagus along with pasta and toss it in sauce. Let the pasta absorb all the flavors.
- Throw in desired amount of parmesan cheese and serve on the bed of rocket greens aka arugula greens.
You can even mix up greens while tossing the pasta if you do not prefer to eat raw greens. I like to have it raw but V prefers little bit cooked. It’s great either ways.
You know what, I might just make this for dinner! But I might try steaming up asparagus. What about you folks?