Mangomisu Swiss Roll
I absolutely love TIRAMISU. Scrumptious and Heavenly! I just love the flavors of coffee, mascarpone cheese and chocolate plus the texture is just outstanding. I can NEVER say NO to Tiramisu! And it is impossible for me to eat just few spoons of it..naaahhh..one more spoon should be fine. It is very addictive.
Last weekend we had friends over for dinner to celebrate one of our friend’s wedding anniversary. And one of them does not like coffee so I thought why not make Tiramisu without coffee??? I know a friend of mine who made Clementine Tiramisu (Prerna from IndianSimmer) and from that time I wanted to try Fruit tiramisu. And this seemed to be a great opportunity to make Tiramisu using a seasonal fruit mango!! Good choice..ryt??? To make it even more interesting I tried making Swiss rolls out of it. So now I call it Mangomisu Swiss rolls! Sweet name hmmm??? They are made of vanilla sponge cake rolled with mango mascarpone cheese cream and topped with orange-mango sauce, pistachios and chocolate curls….Heavenly!
I bet Mango is your favorite fruit if you are an Indian. For me, summer means mangoes or mangoes means Summer….haha either way it is the same as long I get to eat mangoesss! In India, we get hundreds of varieties but Alphanso mangoes are the best. Here in USA we have to compromise it’s taste with Mexican mangoes…but chalta hai!!
Mango brings back sooo many memories in my life. We Gujaratis eat mangoes in every possible form. Weather mangoes are raw or ripe, we find every possible way to use them on daily basis. Soup, salad, lassi, juice, serbat, pickle, fruit roll etc…some people even make spicy curry out of ripe mangoes. May be I should do a “Mango mazaaa week” where I will post only mango recipes for a week. What do u think?
And by the way this was the first time I tried making a fruit tiramisu as well as a Swiss roll cake! I had some problems but in the end everyone enjoyed the dessert, so I call it SUCCESS!! Yay!
Try to make it yourself and you will know what I am talking about. V just loved it!! According to him this was one of the best desserts he had in his life :) . So here you go…Enjoy this seasonal Tiramisu which will surely please you and your family!!
Mangomisu Swiss Roll:
Total time: About 2 hours – Don’t freak out- this includes chilling time as well.
- 1 sheet of vanilla sponge cake – Recipe follows – Only if you prefer to make your own but you can always use store-bought plain vanilla cake
- 2-3 cups of Mango Mascarpone cheese cream – Recipe follows
- About 1/2 cup soaking syrup
- 1 cup Mango-Orange sauce – Recipe follows
- Chopped pistachios – ½ cup
- 1 Mango peeled and sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup Chopped pistachios
- Few Chocolate curls
- Powdered sugar or Cocoa powder to dust
Before we start making a Mangomisu Swiss roll, we have to have all the necessary ingredients ready.
Let’s start with a Vanilla sponge cake. As I said earlier you can even buy the Vanilla sponge cake from outside and slice it accordingly. This way it will be quick and lot easier.
Vegan vanilla sponge cake:
Total time: About 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Almond milk/Coconut milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- A cookie pan to bake the sponge (9”x13”) All we need is 1/2″ – 2/3 ” thick layer of a cake so choose accordingly
- Preheat oven to 350 Degree F.
- Sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut/almond milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Line the baking pan with parchment paper and pour batter in to it. Bake it for about 10-12 minutes. Check with toothpick or cake tester weather it is done or not. If not, bake it for few more minutes. Do not overcook the sponge, because it will be hard to roll it if it you bake it for too long.
- When perfectly baked take the pan out of the oven. And transfer the sponge cake with parchment paper to Drying rack. Let it cool down for 5-7 minutes. Now place a clean sheet of parchment paper onto your work surface and carefully flip the cooked sponge onto the parchment paper, upside down. Now peel off the “baked” parchment paper and cover lightly with a kitchen towel. Let it cool completely. It is really important so do not just use it when it is warm. Let it cool down.
So while your cake is baking we can prepare our sauce and mascarpone cheese cream.
Total time: About 10 mins + chilling time
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 Tbsp sugar or more to taste
- A pinch salt
- A Tbsp water
- 1 mango chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Place the sugar, water, orange juice and half the chopped mangoes in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stir well and microwave for 3 more minutes. Be careful, because the bowl might be very hot. Let the water evaporates till you see sauce like consistency.If you need to microwave it for more than 10minutes, do it.
Alternatively, you can use a small sauce pan and cook it on medium flame for 10 minutes or until water evaporates and you see a sauce like consistency.
Cool slightly, and then add the rest of the mangoes, lemon juice and orange zest. Once it is cooled down completely, blend in a food processor until smooth. Chill until ready to serve. This can be done a day or two before. Make it and store it in refrigerator.
While your cake is baking you can make mango-mascarpone cheese cream and let it sit in refrigerator till you are ready to use.
- 1 tub 16 oz. - Mascarpone cheese (I used homemade one)
- 2 cups – Heavy cream
- 2 tsp – Pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup – Powdered sugar (or more to taste)
- 1 large mango – Chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped Pistachios
To make the mango mascarpone cheese cream, whip the heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Now add mascarpone cheese and mix gently. Fold chopped mango and vanilla essence. Put it back in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- Juice of one orange
Mix sugar with orange juice and keep it aside.
Now we have all the necessary ingredients ready so we can start the Swiss Roll procedure.
Mangomisu Swill Roll procedure:
- When your sponge cake is cooled down completely and ready to use, apply soaking syrup lightly on the cake. Use your pastry brush for it. If you are using a store-bought cake, slice it horizontally for about ½” – 2/3″ and then apply the soaking syrup.
- Spread half of the mango mascarpone cheese cream on cake, leaving about an inch from three sides (Leave one of the long edge clean).
- Spread pistachios on the top. Now with the help of parchment paper, roll tightly, starting from the long edge covered with cream.
- Once rolled cover the roll with rest of the mango mascarpone cheese cream.
- Now let it rest in fridge for at least an hour. That way it will be easier to cut and decorate further.
After an hour decorate the Swiss roll with sliced mangoes, curled chocolate, pistachios (optional) and mango-orange sauce.
If you do not prefer to make a swiss roll, you can always make layered mangomisu. Just skip the rolling procedure.
Dust with icing sugar/Cocoa powder. Slice and serve.