Classic Indian Summer Sandwich with Mint Pesto
Some memories in our life are priceless, aren’t they? Say for example our childhood memories, school days, college days etc… You just feel happy when you think about those memorable moments you spent with your friends and family.
Yesterday I was thinking about my college days (or should I say College Break times in canteen ) I spent with my good friends back home in India. In India, the most happening place in any college is the Canteen. Isn’t it? People go there to have garma garam chai, eat their fast food, enjoy a break with friends and what not. Talking about canteen, reminds me of me fighting with my friends to finish a last bite of food from the plate. (Of course, I used to win – most of the time!! ) It is always fun to share food from one plate. Isn’t it? I used to love their fast food so much that in a month or so I became one of their loyal customers. Sometimes (at least 3 tyms a week ) I used to have my second breakfast in the canteen only. No wonder my mom used to get angry with me eating food outside very often. I miss my friends and time I spent with them in the college . But life goes on and all we have left are memories.
So to live those memories again, I thought to share my all time favorite Classic Indian summer sandwich recipe with my new ZaikaZabardast friends.
It is flavorful, healthy and quick! Perfect for summer picnics or your Memorial Day BBQ party. So here you go.
Classic Indian Summer Sandwich
Preparation time: 30 minutes (But if you have your Pesto/chutney ready then it will only take 15-20 minutes)
Yields: 4 servings
- 8 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1 big tomato sliced 1/4” thick
- 1 Red onion Sliced 1/4” thick
- 2 boiled potatoes Sliced 1/4” thick
- 1 cucumber Sliced 1/8” thick
- Salted butter @ room temperature
- Mint Pesto/Chutney (Recipe follows)
- Thin sev (Pressed gram flour noodles which you can get in Indian store only)
- Chaat masala (Combination of all tangy, salty and some spicy Indian spices. You can get this too in Indian store)
- Chopped coriander leaves
Cut sides of the bread slices and hold on do not throw them you can use them to make bread crumbs or even put them in your mint pesto. Take one bread slice and spread some butter and on the top of it spread some freshly ground mint pesto/chutney. (It is important to apply butter evenly since you do not want your bread to soak all the extra water from the pesto).
A very refreshing Mint Pesto which can be served as a Dip or make nice vegetable sandwich possibilities are endless.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Yields: 1 cup
- 2 cups chopped mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 3 to 4 Green Chilies (Hot ones and As per your taste) , roughly chopped
- 1/2′” piece ginger
- 3 Tbsp Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 big slice of white bread (yes, it is important to put bread in your pesto/chutney when you are going to use it for a sandwich – it will soak extra water and your sandwich will not become soggy)
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
Clean mint, coriander, ginger and green chilies with water and put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend it to a smooth paste using a little water if required. Taste to check on the salt. It’s ready to serve and you can even store it in a Refrigerator and use as required. It’s good for a week or so. Enjoy!